Friday, February 12, 2010

Space Junk

Before I left Earth in 1977, I made my home in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, California.  My listeners know this as the home of KTSH-FM, which beams my interplanetary broadcasts Thursday nights from 12-1am.

But California is known for more than just mind-expanding radio.  In fact, I consider it no small coincidence that the state was a leader in Earth's exploration of outer space.  That's why I found this New York Times article so satisfying.

According to the article, my home state's Historical Commission has endowed preservation status on the following:

- 2 small urine collection devices
- 4 space sickness bags
- "dozens of other pieces of detritus"

Now you might be asking yourself why the Commission would take action to protect items that can be found everywhere from Greyhound stations to Axl Rose's front lawn.  The reason... is that these particular items are located on the moon!

Milford Wayne Donaldson, the state historic preservation officer, said the reasoning behind the first-of-its-kind designation was simple: Scores of California companies worked on the Apollo mission, and much of their handiwork remains of major historical value to the state, regardless of where it is now or what it was for used for then.

Now when the Times speaks of "the moon," I assume the reference is to Earth's moon, not the Lost Moon of Jupiter, where I make my home.

But should the historical commission want to preserve some space junk located a bit farther out into the galaxy, I'm pretty sure I could round up some Burger King wrappers and Mick Jagger solo albums to contribute toward their cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment