Monday, February 28, 2011

Deep Space Cuisine

People often ask me, "Jack, do you eat sushi on the Lost Moon of Jupiter?"

As you may know, I was present in Southern California for the birth of the American sushi craze, and I rapidly embraced the phenomenon. As a young bachelor DJ, my diet already consisted of a lot of Rice-A-Roni and Gorton's Fish Sticks, so I relished the opportunity to translate those ingredients into a more upscale culinary experience. I recommended the tempura bar at the sublime Tokyo Kaikan restaurant (since closed) numerous times on the air, and I actually introduced Supertramp's Roger Hodgson to his first California Roll. (In gratitude, he presented me with my first tin of kippers.)

But it probably won't surprise you to hear that sushi has been harder to come by in the years since I've moved to space. Contrary to popular belief, there are fish on the Lost Moon, but they live two miles below the surface in a massive subterranean ocean that's very hard to get to. Also, unlike most of the inhabitants of the Lost Moon, the fish tend to be pretty hostile.

Sea Monster Battle illustration by Shigeru Komatsuzaki.

So the concept of eating seafood is basically unknown around these parts. (I've introduced the aliens to Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime," and they're big fans, but the lyrics about "fishing" are totally lost on them.)  And while I've repeatedly written to the Gorton's company about having some frozen entrees shipped up here, they've yet to oblige.  Apparently, fish doesn't keep very well on a 365 million mile journey across the vacuum of space.

Basically, as far as sushi goes, this interplanetary traveler's learned to live without.

But it looks like my luck's about to change, friends!  The brilliant minds at Japanese cosmetics, pharmaceutical, and food product conglomerate Kracie Holdings, Ltd., have finally done for sushi what NASA did for ice cream!


Popin' Cookin'! As soon as I get 258 yen together, you better believe I'm going to get my hands on this intellectual education candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment